Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Short Bus (Film)


Shortbus was, and will remain, one of the only movies that made me feel completely and utterly uncomfortable. I consider myself a very open minded person. I have been accused of being gay in the pass. I have had gay friends, I have served with gay members of the military, and I have gay family members. The fact that I really and truly felt uncomfortable and truly disgusted makes me feel very angry at myself. I always used to tell my gay friends “look I don’t care what you do that brings you happiness” but from this film I realized that I’m only okay with it if I don’t see it.

There were a lot of other conflicts taking place in this film, but the gay issue was the only one that struck me. The emotion was so raw and obviously the sex was real. It took the idea of gay people, and gay sex out of your mind and it put it in front of you and forced you to deal with it. It made you deal with the questions are you homophobic, if so then why? Something I can’t answer right now. Me personally, I would have to conclude that I am, but I don’t like it. I don’t like gay sex, and I feel I should apologize for it. However I realized that what gay people do in the bedroom doesn’t make those people a bad people and I stand behind that. I feel for the fact that some would rather choose death than to live gay. I feel for the fact that some don’t feel like Americans, and aren’t perceived as Americans. The film inflames a struggle in me to come to turns with my homophobia and to help other people see that it’s is an issue. In order to do that I myself have to believe that it really isn’t an issue. Love is love and happiness is happiness, no matter who shares it. That is the beginning of coming to turns with gay relationships. Everyone deserves to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment