Thursday, August 23, 2012

Assignment#2- They Say

The first thing i noticed about the writing is that once again assumptions are made. The writer just tends to believe that we, the reader, agree with what he is saying. When Rushkoff says "we understand that we will be subjected to certain forms of influence" he is making an assumption that we will all agree that in some way we will be influenced. Whether or not this is true is irrelevant, he is still using it as a tool to persuade people. The argument pertaining to shopping for shoes is completely invalid for me. This could be because of a disciplined budget or because of lack of funds but still it’s not true. The next couple of paragraphs all i could say was no. No i haven’t. No i don’t. The salesman didn't get me to pay more than what i had planned. Once reading it all the way through i can understand that this was meant to be persuasive, however because i couldn't relate to the character it was lost on me. The techniques he described and use do work. Writing and media can all be persuasive. It gives proof to the idea that we (humans) don't think enough on our own. I can agree, but also disagree. When he spoke of responsive reading in churches, i actually believe it depends on your mind state. I participate in responsive reading, but i don't necessarily feel i am participating in the service. It’s more so the structure. I guess you can say it’s going with the flow. I can choose not to participate and i don't believe i am doomed for it. I am very spiritual in my own way, and who is to say that my way is incorrect? I choose to focus on how i can positively impact my society, and better myself as an individual. I may watch TV and see a commercial for longhorn steak house and thin hmmm, I’m hungry. Was i just brainwashed or persuaded? To me it depends on how you look at it. I may not have money for longhorns, but i may have a rib eye in the freezer. I'm sure i brought that steak long before i saw this commercial, so i cooked the steak, satisfy my hungry and go on about my business. If the idea of the commercial was to get me to go get 50 dollar loan to go to longhorns, it didn't worked. If the idea was to remind me that i had steak in the freezer that if i don’t eat soon it my get freezer burnt then hey that works for me. 

1 comment:

  1. correct writing mistakes and repost if you want to receive credit for the response

    ReplyDelete