Thursday, September 20, 2012

Film Lady Vengeance


My focus point for Lady Vengeance is the idea of justified vengeance. I once heard a saying that went; if you shoot my dog I’m going to kill your cat. My father used to tell me you don't start fights, you finish them. He also so said you protect yourself and yours. Keeping that in mind, I have also adopted a moral responsibility to other. I FEEL morally obligated to help others, even if a see a two on one fighting situation. I may not know the reason behind the brawl, but I feel compelled to make it fair. This however conflicts with my religious views, and so does this idea of vengeance. The Bible says, and I’m paraphrasing, "revenge is mine....The lord will repay". I truly believe in my faith with all my heart. I believed I should try to live righteous, and Christ like. However, I am fully aware that I fall short of the lord’s glory and lifestyle. So upon putting myself into the situation of the parents I can say I would have wanted to kill the one responsible for these horrific murders. I can also say I would have fallen to my knees, and prayed to God that I could find the strength to face the person responsible for killing my loved one, find the strength to forgive them, and still have a WILL to live. I would be perplexed because killing the person would jeopardize my spot in the afterlife, but allowing the bastard to live wouldn't allow me to live with myself. In this situation one would pray, but in the situation in the movie the parents had little time to reflect on the repercussion their actions would have had. I may also add that I would have been "satisfied" knowing that he died even if it wasn't at my own hand. Still, this does conflict with religious views. I know that wishing death on him would not have been Christ like. Vengeance is widely accepted on all levels. For example if you beat me up, I’m going to come back to fight you again; if you then beat me up a second time I’m just going to chalk that up as a loss. But still the idea is vengeful. Think of crimes like rape or torture or pedophilia. All of these acts instantly enact thoughts of vengeance. You hurt me, I’ll hurt you is as simple as the idea of turning the other cheek. In some cases even more simple, but the idea of vengeance is so deeply embedded in our mind that it simply becomes a reaction that doesn’t take a lot of effort to be provoked. It would take more effort to stop, pray, and forgive. That is why forgiveness isn’t given enough. We shouldn’t seek revenge because it’s easy; we should seek forgiveness because it’s right. 

1 comment:

  1. See my response to Pan's Labyrinth -- some good ideas in this one, but you need to revise it and repost it to get credit.

    ReplyDelete