Monday, September 3, 2012

Assignment#5 You Framed Me


The information I read about the spread, deception, and manipulation of information was utterly unnerving. While reading about the type of work the Rendon Group performs, I became frighten. To know that the information you hear and rely on can be fabricated at the will and command at the government, of anyone for that matter is simply scary. However after analyzing and meditating on the information I realized that it was framed to do exactly that. While reading I became lost in the text. I began to share the information I read putting my twist on what I felt it to mean. I completely gave into the text. While I thought about what I learned about framing and what I leaned in reading this information I began to feel more comfortable. This article claims to give reason behind the War on Iraq and how the American people were manipulated by information that was itself, manipulated. The Rendon Group supposedly alters information to frame a certain event or person. It framed our view of the war, of Saddam Hussein and effectively gave our government the support of the people to do what they felt was necessary. Framing our perception, they claimed not in those exact words, is crucial to completing an objective. In other words, doing our thinking for us and leading us to believe that we came to the conclusion on our own. Literally using false information and resources to achieve a result. The methods are used in the article as well. Questions I had to ask myself were; how does the author feel about what the Rendon Group does? Is there a reason there are quotes in the article like “It was not just bad intelligence -- it was an orchestrated effort,” (Sam Gardner). Was this article trying to frame my opinion of the Rendon Group? How do I personally feel about the type of work the Group does? Framing is literally everywhere. Forming your own opinions based on education, research, and knowledge is the only way to ensure that your opinion is truly yours.

Work Cited
BAMFORD, JAMES. "The Man Who Sold the War (John Rendon) by James Bamford." Phil Taylor's Web Site. N.p., 17 Nov. 2005. Web. 3 Sept. 2012. <http://ics-www.leeds.ac.uk/papers/vp01.cfm?outfit=pmt&folder=2053&paper=2539>.

1 comment:

  1. Foquan -- we need to work on your writing. You have good ideas, but they are not being fully communicated because of writing mistakes.

    Start revising all writings to remove writing/spelling mistakes and break them up into paragraphs. Keep focused on what you want to say and make sure you are doing so clearly.

    Revise and repost if you want credit.

    ReplyDelete