Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Cabin in the Woods Film


Joss Whedon is one of my favorite directors, so when I watched cabin in the woods, my expectation were extremely high. This was the first major film that I have seen by the Buffy the Vampire Slayers creator and director and he nailed it. He did a great job meshing the stereotypical characters of a classic horror film with the twist and turns that I expected. I know that he owns his own monster makeup company so I expected that the ghost and monsters in this film would not disappoint. The film itself was great as well. I enjoyed every moment of it even though I knew what was about to happen at all times. He played on the typical horror film, where the black guy dies first, where there is a slutty girl who wants to have sex, and then there is the girl who really didn’t want to go in the first place. One of my favorite moments in the film was when they got to the gas station and the gas station attendant is a creepy old man. This reminded me very much of the cartoon Scooby doo. He pretty much warns them that they shouldn’t continue on their trip but of course they don’t listen. The twist came when the audience finds out that the whole trip is part of a monitored and controlled game in which these teen are sacrificed for a God. I loved that Joss Whedon keep that Latin essence that was throughout every season of Buffy. I also love that the teens were basically allowed to choose their own death, but no matter how they choose they still were to die. Of course as with Buffy there is a deeper meaning to this movie. It talks about the topic of control, who has and who should have it. It forces the characters to choose between chaos of order and control. Knowing Whedon, I knew they would choose chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment