Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Film Hunger

Hunger was a great film, being that I didn’t expect to enjoy it as much as I did. I found myself following this moving deeply, and that is because there was no music. So every time someone threw a punch, or spat, or said something it wasn’t drowned out with music. The plot itself was good enough to follow. From what I gathered these prisoners wanted to be treated as prisoners of war, and not like the typical prisoner. I didn’t find myself siding with either side because both of the sides were following orders. The scene where the guard was outside smoking a cigarette had a strong impact. I remembered thinking what must he be thinking. His wife had to fear for her safety and worry every time her husband left the house. He has to be in fear for his life twenty four seven, and was expected to continue to abuse these prisoners. He didn’t seem to get any enjoyment out of what he was doing. So it was hard for me to categories him as a villain. On the other side the leading character could have been seen as the villain as well. He was leading these men to death in starvation. He, however sacrificed himself for the cause, and that makes it difficult to place him as the villain as well.

The most gripping scene was the scene when the prisoners were all brought out of their cells and beaten, along with the scene where they prisoners were shaven and washed very brutally. Since there was no music every noise was more gripping, every noise was clearer and crisper. It was very effective in getting one to think about how we view violence, and the aesthetic of the film. Over all I completely enjoyed this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment