Monday, December 3, 2012

Gomorrah Film


When watching Gomorrah I found myself very aware that I was watching a movie. I found it hard to connect with the characters. This was a true gansta film, yet it didn’t seem as if it was. The whole time I kept thinking that this isn’t more of a documentary than a movie, and to be honest I really wasn’t interested in it. I find that ironic because all of the elements were there. There was violence, a motive, and even women. Still I found it very difficult to connect with any of the characters. While I sat and though about the movie I realized what was missing. I lacked the ability to humanize the movie because the concept of the movie was foreign. They were in a place I had never been before and no one’s background story was set up for the viewers, and the movie didn’t follow a specific character. It jumped from place to place, from story to story never allowing the viewer to get comfortable. In a way I felt that this was a deliberate approach the director decided to go. Whether or not he was successful or not is unclear to me because not only did I not enjoy the movie, I won’t go home and give this anymore though that I am now. It didn’t make a lasting impression on me. What I will think about is the fact that I truly didn’t care about that movie, and with the ideals that were discussed in the film, that concerns me. These were serious topics. Ruthless murders, children being force to fight one another, poverty. But for some reason that didn’t strike me at the time that I was watching the film. I don’t know if this says more about me or about the ineffectiveness of the film itself but it is something to think about.     

No comments:

Post a Comment